Most of our work these days is done through the internet, therefore, cloud storage providers like Dropbox are becoming important and have been trying to make it easy to not only back up your personal and work files, but also to share files and collaborate with others. Dropbox is one of the most popular of them all, yes, but there are some people that are still in the search for a great free alternative.
Which is the best free alternative to Dropbox?
When we talk about free cloud storage applications we can’t forget about Google Drive, it is also very popular on its own, offering its free cloud file sharing and storage system to its 1.5 billion users, if you already have a Google or Gmail account, choosing this option is only logical.
What are the benefits or pros/cons of Google Drive?
Some of the benefits you will have with Google Drive are:
- Connection with more than 100 Drive applications such as Slack, Airtable, Freshdesk, Zipbooks and many others.
- Save files to the cloud from email using the “Save to Google Drive”
- Quick file search with the platform’s comprehensive text and image search capabilities.
- You will have available the “Work offline” mode to use files when there is no internet connection, it will automatically synchronize all files in the cloud once there is an internet connection again.
- In rare circumstances the upload and download of files can be slow.
- When the files and folders are being used by many users, the environment can get quite disorganized.
Google Drive offers you a great free storage space of 15 GB. However, there’s a trick, said storage space is shared between Gmail, Drive, and Google photos (storage for low resolution photos is unlimited and not included in the 15 GB storage).
How to get an account in Google Drive?
You are able to have access to the Google Drive platform just by using your Google account, the same one you use to login to your Gmail or YouTube email.
If you still don’t have an account, creating one is a very simple process, you just need to follow these steps:
- Go to the following link: https://drive.google.com
- Once the Google Drive page opens, just click on the “Go to Google Drive” button.
- You will see a login window. Click on the “create account” section.
- In the registration window, you will be presented a form. Fill in each of the spaces, including the captcha for verification, accept the terms of service and privacy policies and click next.
- Now you have a Google account which will allow you to access Drive and many other Google services.
With Google Drive, you will always have a copy of your data on the cloud. It doesn’t matter if something happens to your devices, as long as you can access your Google account anywhere, your files are going to be kept safe. The same business quality of data protection and the same security advantages offered by Google Apps are maintained.